Friday, January 22, 2010

mi cocina {sausage and sweet potato soup}

You may be thinking what I thought the first time I saw this. And what John thought when I asked him if I could try it. And what everyone else has thought when I have mentioned it....um....that doesn't sound good.

but

don't be deceived. It may not sound good, but I promise, it is delicious.

however

Buying the right kind of sausage=fail
Everything else=success!

You can find the recipe here. Smitten Kitchen is one of my favorite recipe blogs. She is so descriptive - and pretty funny too!

After some difficulty finding Chorizo in our area, John finally found it at Fresh Market. I wasn't sure if it was the right kind, but we figured we would go for it. Well, apparently, it was smoked, and apparently, we shouldn't have put it in a pot with oil. Because our house looked like it was on fire there was so much smoke. And when I took it out of the pot it was hard as a rock. So, we threw that away. But, we had a little leftover we hadn't put in the oil so we just saved that and threw it in at the end and it was fine.

Other than the sausage debacle, the soup was super easy. I didn't chop anything ahead of time and it still took less than an hour start to finish. John is not a huge sweet potato fan but he loved it. He's also not a huge spinach fan so I didn't put in the full 9 ounces. However, next time if I chop it smaller I will add even more than it calls for. We did add one can of white beans and will probably add two next time.


In summary, it was really good. You should make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment